The monastery complex of Kecharis, built in the 11th-13th centuries, is located in Tsaghkadzor, which is considered the center of winter sports in Armenia. The monastery complex surprises all visitors with its special architecture. It was considered one of the significant cultural and spiritual centers of medieval Armenia and is currently the presbyterial church of the Kotayk diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church. It was built by the Pahlavunis’ and Prosyans’ princes. The monastery complex of Kecharis is included in the list of immovable monuments of history and culture of Tsaghkadzor.
The monastic complex consists of four churches, a vestibule and two chapels, the main of which, Saint Gregory the Illuminator Church, was built in 1033 by Gregory the Magister. Also, more than three dozen khachkars are located on the territory of the monastery complex of Kecharis.

Over the centuries, the monastery complex of Kecharis was destroyed more than once, but it was renovated again. In the 17th century, the monastery complex of Kecharis was abandoned, and in the 19th century, due to an earthquake, the dome of the Church of Saint Grigor Lusavorich was destroyed.
During the years of the Soviet Union, the territory of the monastery complex was renovated. And already in 1998-2001, with the funds of Austrian-Armenian Vladimir Harutyunyan, the Kecharis monastery complex was completely restored.

The article was compiled based on observations and materials collected by the ArmLand club.

Author of photos: Vahagn Grigoryan

/See All